Our pets are wonderful, playful and inquisitive creatures. Unfortunately that need to investigate just about anything that is in reach can get them into trouble.
We all like to taste test our meals as we are preparing them and our pets are right there with us, but that yummy piece of steak can create problems for our furry friends. Giving fatty items can cause at the least a little loose stool, and more seriously pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is a painful condition that usually requires hospitalization and aggressive treatment. Grapes and raisins, although a healthy treat for us humans, can cause severe renal disease in our pets. Most of us are aware that onions and garlic are toxic to some pets, but why? Plants in the Allium family can cause animals blood cells to break down. Cats and some breeds of dogs (Akita's and Shiba Inu's) are more susceptible than others. Each pet is an individual and there isn't a certain dosage that it takes to cause the damage. Because of this, these foods should be avoided altogether. We all know that chocolate is bad for our pets but did you know about caffeine? How about alcohol and unbaked yeast bread dough? Another leading offender is Xylitol, which is an artificial sweetener found in sugar-free candy and gum. Just a small amount can be a big problem.
Items that aren't appealing as food to us can be irresistible to Fido or Fluffy. Just as we must be diligent when we have children around the house we must be aware of these dangers to our pets.
All medications should be kept away from our pets but there are some that are of urgent concern. Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen, along with antidepressants can cause serious illness.
Our pets follow us around just waiting for the next morsel to fall on the ground. A dropped pill is of great interest to Fido and in an instant it is consumed. One simple way to avoid pets ingesting a dropped medication is to take pills behind closed doors. Never use a medication listed for dogs on a cat. Always keep medications safely out of reach and never administer a medication to a pet without consulting a veterinarian.
Nicotine in any form is a danger to our furry friends. With the rise in e-cigarettes comes the rise in unintentional poisonings. Flavored e-cigarettes are especially enticing to dogs. Nicotine has a rapid onset of symptoms ranging from 15 - 60 minutes. If you suspect your pet has consumed Nicotine get to your veterinarian right away or call the Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680.
Spring has sprung and many of our favorite spring flowers start out as bulbs. What is more fun for your dog than to go in the yard and dig up all these wonderful bulb treasures? Unfortunately these harbingers of spring can cause mouth irritations and problems with the intestinal tract if they are chewed on. Many of our favorite plants can be a danger to our plants if ingested. For a list of toxic plants, go to www.petpoisonhelpline.com. Our gardens take work and many of us add amendments to the soil to help our plants produce their best flowers. What may be good for the plants may not be so good for your pet. Blood meal and bone meal, while being natural, can cause gastrointestinal distress for our dogs and cats.
Of course we all know that pest control rodenticides are not good for the 4 legged friends in our house but what you may not know is that it can take days for a pet to have symptoms of poisoning. Ethylene glycol is used in antifreeze and has a sweet taste. It is appealing to dogs and cats. By the time you notice any symptoms of ingestion it may be too late.
If you suspect that your pet may have gotten into something he or she should not have, call your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline immediately 800-213-6680.